Real change doesn’t come from quick fixes. It comes from deep understanding.
Therapy with me is not about finding a “treatment” or “cure” for “mental illness”. Instead, I believe in helping you explore the deep questions of life and find meaning and purpose.
Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, questioning your identity, getting over a breakup, or planning your future, I’m here to help you surf the waves of change with compassion and curiosity.
My unique approach to therapy is grounded in existential-humanistic principles and emphasizes deep self-exploration and discovery, so you can cultivate a greater sense of presence and purpose in your life.
Every person is different, so every therapy is different, but I always start with this:
You have value, and you deserve to be heard.
“Do I contradict myself? / Very well then, I contradict myself. /
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)”
– Walt Whitman
Hi, I’m Dr. Julia Strait
In former lives, I have served as high school/middle school teacher, university professor, school psychologist, researcher, and trainer. All these experiences have set a fire in me to help people through the hardest times of their lives.
My friends and my clients describe me as compassionate, relatable, open, fun, and obsessive about psychology. (No really, it’s a problem.)
I’d love to help you get to know yourself and feel better.
- BA, University of Texas at Austin
- MA, University of South Carolina
- PhD, University of South Carolina
- Predoc internship, Crowley’s Ridge ESC and
- Arkansas State University
- Postdoc fellowship in child welfare and trauma-informed care, University of Tennessee Center of Excellence for Children in State Custody
- Universities: UHCL SSP and PsyD graduate programs (TX) (former professor and clinic director), UTHSC, UH, Arkansas State University
- Clinics: Stepping Stone Therapy (TX), Tidewater Neuropsychology, UT COE PCIT Clinic (TN), UT COE TF-CBT Clinic (TN), USC Psychological Services Center (SC), UHCL Psychological Services Center (TX), USC School of Medicine Developmental Pediatrics
- School districts: Fort Bend ISD (TX), Richland 2 ISD (SC), Pearland ISD (TX), Crowley’s Ridge Educational Service Cooperative (AR)
- Nonprofit: New Journey Counseling Center (TX) (Board Member, Secretary)
Publications & Media
- The Psychologists Podcast (co-host)
- Panic Attack Workbook for Teens (author)
- This Emotional Mind (Psychology Today blog)
- YouTube channel (1-min. coping skills videos)
- The Executive Skills Questionnaire-Revised (ESQ-R) (with Dr. Peg Dawson)
- Over 20 peer-reviewed journal articles and 50+ national presentations (Dr. Strait’s CV)
“Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.”
– Anais Nin